Animal Friends of the Valleys
Foster Parent Guidelines
Foster Parenting for a homeless animal is an extremely rewarding experience. You have the opportunity to save the life of an adoptable pet who needs a little more time when our shelter is full.
Foster families love and care for a homeless pet between satellite adoption shows which take place on weekends. We also encourage your active participation in finding a new, loving home for the foster pet.
In an effort to ensure the success of the program and safety of our precious animals, we have written some important guidelines:
1. All foster parents must fill out an application and be approved prior to taking an animal home. An AFV staff member or project coordinator will visit your home prior to approval of the application.
2. It is advisable that foster pets have a separate area from your family pets while you observe the health of the fostered animal.
3. It is critical that Foster Parents keep the Program Coordinator informed of the current status of the pet. A weekly phone update to the coordinator is necessary so that we may adequately track the whereabouts of our animals at all times.
4. Since we are short staffed, foster parents must be willing and capable of transporting foster pets to satellite adoption shows, and picking them up at the end of the day if not adopted. Special arrangements may be possible on occasion. If you are unable to transport animal(s) for three consecutive weeks, we will require that the pet be returned to AFV.
5. All foster animals remain the responsibility and possession of AFV until formally adopted. Because we care so much, pets may not be transferred to a new guardian or foster home without approval of AFV.
6. We will do our best to ensure that animals placed in foster homes are clean and healthy. Should medical attention be required, an AFV staff member or project coordinator should be notified immediately. Our funds are limited and we must take this on a case by case basis.
7. You must return the foster pet to the shelter if you are no longer able to care for the animal. All foster pets must be retuned to us promptly upon request.
YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THESE GUIDELINES PLEASE CONTACT THE FOSTER COORDINATOR
AT THE SHELTER
THANK YOU FOR CARING!